Sunday, November 6, 2011

RV BOOT CAMP GRADUATION

I am now officially a graduate of RV Boot Camp. Thank goodness that's over. It was exhausting to sit from 8:00 in the morning to almost 8:00 at night. I am so wiped out that I'll need a day or two to recouperate. My hypoglycemia is all out of wack from not eating the right foods or at the right times. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

Taken from the porch where I stayed for most of today's class.  It was nice and cool on the porch.

Check out the little car riding piggy back.

One of the solo ladies who drives a Class A bus.  I really want one of those electric scooters.

After hearing the presenters tell about all of the horror stories of people dying in their motorhomes due to loss of control after a blowout or when their coach catches fire - lots of attendees were having second thoughts about either purchasing their first RV or continuing with their plans to full time.  It's really frightening to know how many folks each year go through these types of situations and don't come out alive.  I tried to block out what they were saying because I don't want that to stick in my head while I'm traveling down the road.  However, this tidbit made it through my block... the most dangerous item in an RV is the refrigerator and there's not much you can do about that.  The ammonia and hydrogen are the deadly culprits.  I thought it would be the propane which is dangerous but not the number one thing.

Weight management and tire safety were the most informative parts of the seminar.  Having the coach weighed tomorrow and hope it's not too much over my limit.  Then I'll chill for awhile and maybe stay another day or so. Then heading out towards Freeport (maybe Galveston) with a stop inbetween. Then down to Port Lavaca, Port O'Conner, and Port Aransas to meet up with other solo women RVers. 

Hoping to have a YA YA initiation on the beach for any of the ladies who were interested in joining the Traveling YaYa Sisterhood.  I brought along the supplies needed to initiate 4 ladies at a time.  For more than 4 we'll need to gather up some other supplies.  It'll be fun.  If we can't build a fire on the beach we'll just have to
improvise with candles or lanterns.


10 comments:

  1. Congratulation on becoming a graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    If I had my rig, I'd meet you down on the beach for sure. And I'd bring lots of firewood too. Y'all are gonna have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joe. I'm glad I attended but am soooo glad it's over. It was a lot of information to absorb and my head was already too full... if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim... I wish you did have your rig and could meet us down here. Texas has a state wide fire ban and not sure we can have a fire but we'll use lanterns and put sticks around it. HA! That should be a riot. As long as I'm on the beach I'll be happy. Keep planning and it will happen for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy, we added a Steersafe to our rig after a solo friend (a woman) had a front blowout on her 30 footer. She had the Steersafe and felt it helped to keep the rig tracking straight till she could pull over. I'm sure they told you this, but NEVER slam on the brakes in a blowout, accelerate till the coach stabilizes then pull over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I'd have ahard time sitting through those classes (or anything for that amount of time) But I hope to take advantage of something like that in the future.

    Cyndi & Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hhi Kate... Yes they taught us about accelerating till the coach stabilizes. Were shown a film of actual blowouts, etc. Don't remember hearing about the Steersafe.

    Hi Cyndi... Thanks for the congrats. It was hard on me to sit that long but others didn't seem to bothered by it. I'm just glad it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no way I could have sat for twelve hours... even with a break here and there... too antsy of an ass and the attention span of a gnat.

    Congratulations! ;)

    Hope to see you in a couple of weeks. I'm going to Galveston first also then drive on down... I plan on leaving Thursday if the creek don't rise... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Carolyn... So you are gonna do it? Glad to hear that. I'll probably be near Galveston by Friday. Gonna meet Chris on the 18th in Port Aransas. If I miss you along the way, hope to see you there. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Them's m'plans! I plan on being in Galveston sometime Thursday or Friday... all subject to change ;)

    I definitely plan on being in Port Aransas on the 18th ... turning into quite a little GTG!

    I'll keep in touch via email...

    ReplyDelete